Discussion: Who is Red John?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 13261 - 13270 of 14008  |  Show  posts at a time
First < Previous | 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 | Next > Last
Elephant31200
Elephant31200
13396. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:27 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:27 PM EST
the problem of 6x08 is mostly due to the bad script of this episode, a lot of things seems illogical in this one, everything seems rushed, and the behavior of the characters is almost irrational ; Red John had no interest in revealing himself in that episode, Gale Bertram was going to kill Jane, and the most astonishing is that the character of Red John, though a unpleasant cold murderer, is turned into someone almost likeable (though he committed an horrible killing by taking the life of the daughter and the wife of Patrick Jane) due to the fact that he is no longer the predator in this episode (Jane is) and that he saved the life of Patrick twice (end of season 2, and the scene on the roof in season 6). 6  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
MentalistGarbage
MentalistGarbage
13397. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:32 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:32 PM EST
Bruno kept everyone in the dark, according to Grace (Righetti):

"It keeps changing," she explained about how her character and Rigsby will leave the show. "It's been a little bit of a fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants season. I think it was sort of an unexpected turn for the writers too, to have the show kind of be reworked this season. So everybody's kind of trying to figure it out."

Not good.
9  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    
Casiax
Casiax
13398. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:38 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:38 PM EST
Even if Lisbon turned out to be RJ or someone from their unit, would've been better than this ending
9  out of 18 found this valuable. Do you?    
MentalistGarbage
MentalistGarbage
13399. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:42 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:42 PM EST
If they all died and got back together in the afterlife, it would have been a better ending.

PS: I always thought Red John was Jacob.
4  out of 16 found this valuable. Do you?    

JRH1234
13400. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:49 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:49 PM EST
"The Mentalist has just proven to be another example of a pervasive problem which is ruining television and movies. Shoddy Mystery Box writing. "
Good post, and I agree with you, this is all too common a problem with mysteries, at least on TV shows. Many have brought up Lost, but I'm not familiar with that show. For me, the X-Files and Alias are two comparisons that come to mind. I think this is a more common situation with TV shows and I think the reason is pretty straight forward. No one every really knows how long a TV show will last, so the writers can never really plan and pace the mystery properly. Movies and novels are submitted as a finished products, so once they are published, the writers don't have to worry about whether the story will last for 2 years or 4. But a TV show like TM can't space out the RJ story for 6 seasons if the show may only last 2 seasons, so the writers really have to finesse things carefully when crafting the story.

The other issue with ongoing serials as opposed to one-time stories is that real world issues will get in the way of the best plans of any writer. I can shout until I'm blue in the face about how Mashburn would have made a great Red John, but if Currie Graham was unavailable for filming certain episodes, then there's not much the writers can do there. And then there's the uncertainty of the actor being available. I can plan the Mentalist to have a 4 season story arc in which Minelli is revealed as RJ, but if I can't guarantee that Gregory Itzin will be around for 4 years, then I have to be careful about how the story unfolds.

TV shows design stories to keep the show going, not with telling a complete story. The creators don't really think about the ending when they're concerned about the show continuing. So TM, along with other shows, introduces a mystery not with the intent of answering it, but so the audience will come back and watch it next week.
10  out of 19 found this valuable. Do you?    
MentalistGarbage
MentalistGarbage
13401. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 5:57 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 5:57 PM EST
Guess you never heard of the Fugitive. 5  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    

Mentalist76
13402. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 6:07 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 7:26 PM EST
What a bunch of crybabies on here. HAHAHA. Aghhh, "Heller didn't explain to us everything... . Minelli would have been better, Mashburn would have been better. It was suppose to be a Where's Waldo" person." WAHHHH, WAHHH, WAHHHH Poor, poor pitiful me.

You people are so clueless... the whole series and episodes were in Jane's head.. his MINDGAMES. And you didn't get that????? What a bunch of morons. Nobody here even realized that Angela and Charlotte was walking across the graveyard at the end.

People on this board are so CLUELESS!!! Whining because you didn't even understand what the show was about.
3  out of 36 found this valuable. Do you?    
ScottJohn
ScottJohn
13403. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 6:14 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 6:14 PM EST
"If they all died and got back together in the afterlife, it would have been a better ending.

PS: I always thought Red John was Jacob."
Yeah they could have stolen some ideas from Lost and gave us an ending for that show too! Then JJ Abrams would be really pissed! haha
10  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    

JRH1234
13404. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 6:16 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 6:16 PM EST
"To build on this, when he did appear he should have shown at least a sign of being RJ. How were we ever meant to correctly theorise 'Who is Red John' when Heller didn't know himself until last year? Berkeley couldn't portray his character correctly because of this - yes RJ appeared but he wasn't really RJ was he? He was just a sheriff.

And in answer to the above question - I did enjoy the S3 ending, yes. It was befitting of the story at the time, and I hadn't heard the 'Waldo' comment then. Not to mention the fact that Whitford played him to a tee, my jaw was wide open for that entire scene - The Mentalist at its best...shame it lost it."
I can understand Heller not knowing who RJ would ultimately be when the show first started, but there was a relatively easy option available for Heller-he could have planned for 3-4 characters being RJ and then tailored the clues so that any of them could have been the correct answer. That way you don't put all your eggs in one basket, but you give the audience something substantive to maintain their interest in mystery.

And that's the infuriating thing about Heller, is that in a way, he did leave open the possibility of Partridge, Kirkland, or Bertram being RJ. If he wanted to finally end the RJ mystery, why didn't he just simply reveal Partridge or Bertram to be RJ? As poorly planned as his clues were, the audience had reached a weak consensus on RJ being 8 or 9 different characters. Why not just use one of those characters rather than this BS with Smith and McAllister?
6  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

JRH1234
13405. RE: Who is Red John?
Nov 25 2013, 6:18 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2013, 6:18 PM EST
"Guess you never heard of the Fugitive."
The TV series or movie? I've watched both.
1  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
First < Previous | 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 | Next > Last